Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Mommy Thing I Dread

Some of my job is fun: watching the kids discover something new, listening to their stories, secret adventures.
Some of my job is simply monotonous: laundry, shuttling kids to and from activities, dishwasher, house cleaning, supervising outside playtime.
Some of my job is unpleasant but bearable: caring for bleeding injuries, changing diapers (just ended an 8 year run of diaper changing), cleaning the boys' bathroom, being trapped home when someone is sick.
Right now the one part of mommyhood I dread, hate, despise is fevers. I have come up with a three level system for rating fevers and their treatment; all fever triage is done with the "mommy thermometer" which is a kiss to the forehead.
Level 1: "Wow, he feels a little warm. I'll have to keep an eye on that and see if it goes anywhere"
Level 2: " Oh No! He is hot; time for medicine and a cool drink and some relax time" The cool drink is for the kid not me. At the next level I could use a cool drink.
Level 3: "AAAGGGHHHH! Hot, hot, hot! Get the medicine! Take the temperature with a real thermometer! His brain is going to fry! We're all going to die!" Really. That is not an exaggeration. That is actually what my brain screams when the temperature hits about 102.7. Complete freakout. Though I usually stay relatively calm on the outside (no comment D). So now you know what pushes me right over the edge. And I was there last night with M. Two doses of a Z-pack antibiotic in his system and the fever was still at 103. Z-pack is convenient with the whole one dose a day for 5 days and you're done, but for M it takes 3 doses to take away the symptoms.
Dose three is in his system now so he should be better and I won't have to go to red alert level 3 in fever triage for a while......of course we are not out of the incubation window for the rest of us to come down with the plague, I mean strep.
love and hugs, B

No comments: